From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Ingredients: For 3 to 4 servings
Red Sorrel Leaves (Ambade ki bhaji) : 250 grams
Split Bengal Gram: 50 grams
Whole Green Chillies: 5
Turmeric Powder: 1/4th teaspoon
Garlic cloves: 16
Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon
Cooking oil: 1 ½ tablespoon
Whole Dry Red Chillies: 4
1. In a cooking pan, add Ambada or red sorrel leaves after washing them thoroughly.
2. Add curry leaves, split Bengal gram or chana dal, whole green chillies, turmeric powder, garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 3 cups of water and close the lid.
3. Cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes and simmer for about 20 minutes till the Bengal gram gets tender and water dries up.
4. Add salt and mash the cooked lentil and sorrel leaves roughly.
5. In an another saucepan, add oil.
6. When the oil is hot, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and whole dry red chillies. Sauté till they turn brown.
7. Add mashed sorrel leaves and lentils. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Red Sorrel and Bengal gram curry or Ambade ki Bhaji Chana Dal is ready.