From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Yellow cucumber (Budma) : 1 whole
Red lentils (masoor dal) : 150 grams ( 1 and 1/4th teacup)
Tomatoes: 2 chopped
Ginger garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
Red Chili powder: 1 teaspoon
Salt: 1 teaspoon
Chopped coriander: a handful
Whole green chilies: 3
Curry leaves: a handful
Juice of one lemon
Cooking oil: 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Peel, de-seed and chop one yellow cucumber into small pieces. Keep this aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add red lentils, chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, 2 cups of water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 4 whistles on low flame.
- When the lentils get tender , mash it well. Add 2 cups of water to the mashed lentils, red chili powder, salt, chopped coriander, whole green chilies, curry leaves and mix well.
- Add pieces of yellow cucumber and juice of lemon. Close the lid and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes till the cucumber pieces get tender.
- In a frying pan, add oil, when the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them splutter and temper the cooked lentils.
Budme Ki Masoor Dal or Yellow Cucumber and Lentil Curry is ready.