From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Basmati Rice: 150 grams (1 1/4th tea cup)
Dry coconut: ½ shell
Seedless raisins (kishmish): 1 ½ tablespoons
Khoya: 100 grams
Milk: 250 ml + ½ tea cup
Clarified butter (pure ghee) : 2 tablespoons
Cardamom powder (elaichi powder): ½ teaspoon
Orange food colour : 2 pinches (optional)
Sugar : 150 grams ( 1 1/4th tea cup)
1. Soak rice for about half an hour.
2. Make small slices of coconut and keep aside.
3. After half an hour, drain the water from the rice and add it to a cooking pan.
4. Add 300 ml of water, close the lid and stir at times.
5. When rice gets tender, drain the water and simmer on low flame till the rice gets very soft but not sticky.
6. Keep this cooked rice aside.
7. Soak khoya in half cup of milk and mix thoroughly, keep this aside.
8. In a separate pan, add clarified butter or pure ghee.
9. Add sliced coconut and raisins or kishmish.
10. Semi fry and stir till they turn light brown.
11. Add 250 ml of boiled milk, khoya and milk mixture, cardamom or elaichi powder and add food colour.
12. Mix well and when the milk comes to boil, add sugar.
13. Cook for about 2 minutes and add cooked rice.
14. Mix well and cook till it gets dry.
Chawal ka meetha or Rice Sweet Dish is ready.