From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Beetroot (chuqandar) : 500 grams
Khoya : 100 grams
Clarified butter (pure ghee): 4 tablespoons
Milk: 2 tea cups
Sugar: 150 grams
Cardamom powder (elaichi powder) : 1 teaspoon
Almonds: 30 grams
Pistachios: 20 grams
1. Soak almonds and pistachios overnight or for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Peel the skin and grind into a fine paste.
3. Soak khoya in milk for about 15 minutes.
4. Peel, wash and make small pieces of beetroot. Grind into a fine paste without using water.
5. In the pan, add clarified butter or pure ghee.
6. Add grinded paste of beetroot. Sauté till the clarified butter separates, sauté for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Blend or mix khoya and milk thoroughly so that there are no lumps left.
8. Add this khoya and milk mixture to the sauted beetroot paste.
9. Add cardamom or elaichi powder. Add the grinded paste of almonds and pistachios and sugar.
10. Close the lid and stir at times to prevent burning.
11. Saute till the paste gets dry.
Clarified butter (pure ghee): 1 tablespoon
Soaked, peeled and sliced almonds or soaked and sliced cashews: a handful
While still hot, garnish with one tablespoon clarified butter or pure ghee and sliced almonds or sliced cashews.
Chuqandar Ka Shahi Halwa or Royal Beetroot Sweet is ready.