From Maimoona Yasmeen’s recipes
Ingredients: For 6 to 8 servings
Bread (small square pieces without crusts) : 250 grams
Clarified butter (pure ghee) : 250 grams
Water: 400 ml
Sugar: 750 grams
Milk: ½ litre
Cardamom powder: 1 teaspoon
Orange food colour (optional) : 2 pinches
Khoya: 100 grams
Almonds, cashews and charoli (sliced and fried): a handful
Saffron sticks: few
- Remove the crusts of the bread and cut the bread into small square shaped pieces.
- Add clarified butter or ghee to a frying pan. When it gets hot, lower the bread pieces into the clarified butter and fry on both sides till they turn light brown. Keep them aside.
- In an another pan, add water. When the water comes to boil, add sugar.
- Let it cook on medium flame for about 10 to 15 minutes to form a thick sugary syrup.
- Bring milk to boil. Add cardamom or elaichi powder , orange food colour and khoya. Mix well so that khoya blends in the milk thoroughly.
- Spread the fried bread pieces in a flat bottomed cooking pan.
- Add the warm milk mixed with khoya, to bread pieces.
- After 10 minutes when the bread pieces get tender and soft, add sugar syrup.
- Switch on the flame and cook for 10 to 15 minutes till the breads soak milk and sugar syrup well.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with few saffron sticks and sliced and fried almonds, pistachios and charoli.
Hyderabadi Double Ka Meetha is ready.