Hyderabadi Dum Ki Chicken Biryani from Maimoona Yasmeen Recipes.
for 5 to 6 servings
Ingredients: for 5 to 6 servings
For Chicken Marination:
Chicken (medium sized pieces) : 1 kg
Ginger garlic paste : 2 tablespoons
Red chilli powder : 4 teaspoons
Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
Whole green chillies : 7
Salt : 2 teaspoons
Spices (Garam Masala Powder): 1 ½ teaspoon
Coriander : 1bunch chopped
Mint Leaves : 1 bunch
Chopped, fried crispy Onions : 3
Cooking Oil : 5 tablespoons
Curd : 3 cups
1. In a cooking saucepan, add chicken pieces. To the chicken pieces, add lemon juice. Keep this aside for about half an hour.
2. After half an hour, add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, spices, curd, grinded paste of green chillies, mint leaves, chopped coriander, fried onions, cooking oil (which we used for frying the onions) to the chicken pieces and keep them aside for marination for about an hour.
For Cooking Rice:
Rice: 1 kg
Water: 3 litres
Salt: 4 teaspoons
Cinnamon sticks (small) : 4 to 5
Black cloves (lavang) : 3
Cardamoms (elaichi) : 3
Coriander: 1/2 bunch chopped
Mint leaves: 1/2 bunch
Caraway seeds (shahzeera) : 1 teaspoon
Whole green chillies: 3 to 4
1. After an hour, take a separate cooking pan, add water, salt, chopped coriander, mint leaves, whole green chillies, cinnamon sticks, black cloves, cardamoms, caraway seeds and close the lid.
2. When the water comes to boil, add washed rice (you can soak the rice for about hlf an hour before use).
3. Semi cook the rice and drain the water.
Marinated chicken pieces
Semi cooked rice
Clarified butter or pure ghee: 2 tablespoons
Mint leaves: a handful
Chopped coriander: a handful
Chopped, fried, crispy onions: 2
Milk: 1/2 tea cup
Saffron strands: few
Orange food colour: a pinch (optional)
- To the marinated chicken pieces, spread the semi cooked rice in a layer
- Add clarified butter, chopped coriander, mint leaves, caraway seeds, saffron sticks and a pinch of orange colour soaked in half cup of milk and add clarified butter or pure ghee.
- Fix the lid using dough.
- Cook on medium flame for 10 minutes and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
Hyderabadi Dum Ki Chicken Biryani is ready.