Hyderabadi Chicken Korma-Masala Curry from Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Ingredients: For 6 servings
- Chicken (Medium sized pieces) – 1 Kg
2. Curd – 1 ½ Cups
3. Sliced dry coconut – 1 cup
4. Peanuts – 1 cup
5. Onions (Medium sized) – 3 chopped
6. Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 ½ Tablespoon
7. Salt – 2 Teaspoons
8. Red Chilli powder – 4 Teaspoons
9. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Spices – 1 Teaspoon
11. Coriander – 1 Bunch Chopped
12. Mint Leaves – 1 Bunch
13. Green Chillies – 5
14. Cooking oil – 4 Tablespoons + 1/4th Teaspoon
1. Roast slices of dry coconut and peanuts separately.
2. Add 1/4th teaspoon of cooking oil and sauté 2 chopped onions (please note that we are taking only 2 chopped onions for sauting).
3. Peel the peanuts when still hot.
4. Grind roasted coconut and peanuts and sauted onions to a fine paste. Keep this aside.
5. In a cooking saucepan add oil and when the oil is hot, add one chopped onion. Stir till the onions turn brown.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and when it turns brown, add turmeric powder, salt and masala paste of coconut, peanuts and onions.
7. Add Curd.
8. Keep stirring as the masala paste have the tendency of getting stuck to the container or getting burnt if left idle for five minutes.
9 . Close the lid at times to avoid spluttering. Keep stirring till the masala paste gets dry.
10. Add red chilli powder and stir well. (Note – we did not add red chilli powder initially to preserve its freshness.)
11. Add Chicken pieces and mix thoroughly.
12. Close the lid and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir in between. Cook till the oil separates.
13. Add 5 cups of water, mint leaves, chopped coriander , whole green chillies and spices or garam masala powder.
14. Close the lid and cook on high flame for about 10 minutes and simmer for 20 minutes.