Hyderabadi Mutton Haleem from Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes for 4 to 5 servings
1.Onions(Big) : 5 to 6 chopped
2. Cashews(Kaju) : a handful
1. In a separate frying pan add some oil for frying and when it gets heated, add chopped onions and fry till golden brown. Keep it aside.
2. Fry the cashews and keep aside.
Praparation of Daliya:
- Haleem Rawa (Crushed wheat): 250 gms
2. Red Lentils(Masoor dal): a handful
3. Bengal Gram(Chana dal): a handful
4. Black Gram(Urad/Maash dal): a handful
5. Pigeon pea lentils(Tuvar/Toor dal): a handful
6. Green Gram(Moong dal): a handful
7. Water: 5 to 6 glasses
1. In a frying pan, add pigeon pea lentils, green gram, black gram, bengal gram and red lentils separately and saute till golden brown.
2. In an another pan, add crushed wheat, sauted lentils and five glasses of water.
3. Close the lid, cook till wheat and lentils get tender (cook for approximately 20 to 25 minutes on low flame).
4. Allow it to cool.
5. Grind the mixture roughly using little water if necessary. Keep this aside.
Preparation of mutton gravy:
1. Mutton Pieces (boneless):500 gms
2. Curd(Dahi) : 2 tablespoons
3. Coriander (Hara dhaniya/kotmeer): 1 bunch chopped
4. Mint Leaves(pudine ke patte): 1 bunch chopped
5. Tomatoes (medium size) : 2 chopped
6. Cooking Oil : 2 tablespoons
7. Ginger Garlic paste: 2 tablespoons
8. Red Chili powder: 4 teaspoons
9. Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
10. Salt: 1 teaspoon
1. In a sauce pan add oil and when it is hot, add ginger garlic paste, Saute till golden brown.
2. Add turmeric powder and chopped tomatoes, saute and close the lid so that the tomatoes get tender.
3. Add salt, red chili powder, mutton, curd, chopped coriander, chopped mint leaves and two cups of water.
4. Mix well and pressure cook till 5 whistles.
5. Saute till the water dries up and till the oil separates.
6. Allow it to cool. Mash the mutton along with gravy.
- Grinded Halem rawa or crushed wheat and lentils.
2. Cooked and mashed mutton
3. Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons
4. Fried Onions: 1 cup
5. Coriander: 1 bunch chopped
6. Mint leaves: 1 bunch chopped
7. Spices(Garam Masala Powder) : 1 Teaspoon
8. Salt: 3 teaspoons
9. Black Pepper Powder: 1 teaspoon
1. To the grinded wheat and lentils, add mashed mutton, spices, black pepper powder, chopped mint Leaves, chopped coriander, fried onions, salt and oil (use the cooked oil used for frying the onions)
2. Mix and blend thoroughly and cook for 30 minutes on low flame. Stir in between to prevent the mixture from getting stuck to the container.
Clarified butter (Pure Ghee) : 1 tablespoon
Coriander : 1 bunch chopped
Mint leaves: 1 bunch chopped
Lemon: One (cut into two halves)
Green chilies: 2 to 3 whole
Remaining fried onions
Take out haleem in a bowl and garnish it with clarified butter, fried onions, chopped coriander, chopped mint leaves, fried cashews, lemon and green chilies.
Hyderabadi Haleem is ready to be served.