Kaddu Ka Dalcha – Bottle gourd Mutton Curry from Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Ingredients for 5-6 servings:
Bottle Gourd – ½ Kg or 3/4th of a big bottle gourd
Onions – 2 sliced
Mutton (Medium Sized pieces) – 100 grams
Tomatoes – 3 chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons
Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Cooking Oil – 1 tablespoon
Pigeon Pea Lentils (Toor Dal) – 1 cup
Curry Leaves – a handful
Coriander – ½ bunch chopped
Whole Green Chillies – 5
Spices (Garam Masala Powder) – 1 teaspoon
1. In a pressure cooker, add washed toor dal or pigeon pea lentils and two cups of water. Pressure cook till 5-6 whistles for approximately 15 minutes on medium flame.
2. Blend this cooked lentil with a hand blender into a fine paste and keep aside.
3. In a separate pressure cooker, add sliced onions, mutton pieces, chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, oil and one cup of water.
4. Mix well and close the lid. Pressure cook till 2-3 whistles.
5. Saute and when the oil separates, add diamond shaped cut bottle gourd pieces.
6. Add one cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
7. Add one cup of tamarind water and three cups of plain water and close the lid.
8. Cook till the raw smell of tamarind disappears, cook for approximately 15 minutes.
9. To the bottle gourd and mutton mix, add toor dal or pigeon pea lentil paste, curry leaves, chopped coriander, whole green chillies, spices or garam masala powder and close the lid.
10. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Hyderabadi Kaddu ka Dalcha or Bottle Gourd and Pigeon Pea Lentil curry is ready.