From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Ingredients: For 6 to 8 servings
Milk: 1 ½ litre
Sago seeds (sabudana): 4 tablespoons
Khoya: 100 grams
Bottle gourd grated: 2 ½ tea cups
Cashews: 50 grams
Condensed milk: ½ tea cup
Green food colour: 2 pinches (optional)
Sugar: 180 grams (1 ½ tea cups)
Vanilla essence: 4 drops
1. Boil milk. Take out half a cup of milk and keep this aside.
2. Soak sago seeds for about fifteen minutes in one cup of water.
3. Grind cashews into a thin, fine paste and keep aside.
4. Mix khoya thoroughly in ½ cup of milk which we had kept aside.
5. Add grated bottle gourd to a cooking pan and add ½ tea cup of water.
6. Close the lid and simmer for about 10 minutes till the bottle gourd get tender.
7. When the water dries up, mash the bottle roughly and sauté again till the water dries up completely. Keep this aside.
8. To the boiled milk, add soaked and drained sago seeds. Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes on low flame till the sago seeds get tender.
9. Add cashew paste to the milk and sago, add mixture of milk and khoya. Stir immediately to prevent the formation of lumps.
10. Add condensed milk, green food colour and add grated and sauted bottle gourd to the milk mixture.
11. Mix thoroughly and add sugar.
12. Keep stirring till the raw smell of sugar disappears.
13. Stir for about 10 minutes.
14. Allow it to cool and add vanilla essence.
15. Garnish with sliced almonds, cashews and pistachios.
Kaddu Ki Kheer is ready.