Khatti Dal – Toor Dal with Tadka from Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes for 6 servings
Tuvar Dal (Pigeon pea lentil) – 2 Cups
Chopped Tomatoes (Medium Sized) – 3
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 Tablespoon
Red Chilli Powder – 3 Teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – ½ Teaspoon
Salt – 1 Teaspoon
Tamarind (Pakki Imli) – a handful
Chopped Coriander (Hara Dhanya/Kotmir) – ½ Bunch
Whole Green Chillies – 4
1. To make one cup of Tamarind water, soak tamarind in one cup of water for 15 minutes and then squeeze out the water.
2. In a pressure cooker, add toor dal, chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and three cups of water.
3. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles till toor dal gets tender.
4. Mash this dal or blend it using a hand blender into a fine paste. Add 2 cups of water to facilitate the blending.
5. Into this paste of dal, add two cups of plain water, tamarind water, salt, a handful of curry leaves, chopped coriander and whole green chillies.
6. Cook for 20-30 minutes on low flame till the raw smell of tamarind water disappears.
For tadka or tempering:
Cooking oil: 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
Garlic cloves: 7
Whole dry red chillies:4
Curry leaves: 2 handfuls
1. Add oil into a frying pan and when the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, garlic cloves and whole dry red chillies.
2. Add a handful of washed and drained curry leaves after switching off the flame.
Temper the cooked lentils or dal and close the lid for five to ten minutes so that the aroma remains in the dal.
Hyderabadi Khatti dal or Toor Dal is ready to be served. Enjoy!