From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
For 4 to 5 servings:
1. Cooking oil: 250 ml
2. Onions: 3 chopped
In a frying pan, add 250 ml of oil and when the oil is hot, add chopped onions and fry till they turn brown and crispy. Keep them aside.
For daliya(Cooking rice, wheat and lentils):
Rice: 2 cups (100 grams)
Split Bengal gram (chana dal): a handful
Split black gram (urad/maash dal): a handful
Pigeon pea lentils (tuvar/toor dal): a handful
Red lentils (masoor dal): a handful
Green gram (moong dal) : a handful
Crushed wheat (haleem rawa) : 1 ½ cups (100 grams)
Water: 500 ml + 250 ml
1. In a saucepan, add washed rice, washed lentils and 500 ml of water and close the lid. Cook one medium flame for about 5 minutes and then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes till the rice and lentils get tender. Stir in between.
2. In an another pan, add washed and drained crushed wheat. Add 250 ml of water and close the lid. Cook on medium flame for about 15 minutes till the wheat gets tender. Stir in between to prevent burning.
3. Grind together cooked rice and lentils and wheat roughly.
For preparation of gravy:
Boneless mutton (medium size pieces): ½
Oil: 3 tablespoons
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
Salt: ½ teaspoon
Red chilli powder: 2 teaspoons
Spices (garam masala powder): ½ teaspoon
Curd: 1 cup
Chopped coriander: a handful
Mint leaves: a handful
Water: ½ cup
1. In a pressure cooker, add oil. When the oil is hot, add chopped onion.
2. When the onions turn brown, add ginger garlic paste. Saute for 15 seconds.
3. Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, spices or garam masala powder and mutton pieces.
4. Sauté for 1 minute and add whipped curd, chopped coriander, mint leaves, water and close the lid.
5. Pressure cook till 3 to 4 whistles.
6. Take out the lid and sauté till the oil separates.
1. Grinded wheat, rice and lentils
2. Mutton gravy
3. Chopped mint leaves: a handful
4. Chopped coriander: a handful
5. Fried onions: ½ cup
6. Salt: 2 teaspoons
7. Black pepper powder: 1 ½ teaspoon
8. Spices (garam masala powder): ½ teaspoon
9. Clarified butter (asli ghee): 3 tablespoons
10. Water: 2 cups
1. To the mutton gravy, add grinded paste of cooked rice, lentils and wheat.
2. Add water, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander, fried onions, salt, black pepper powder, spices or garam masala powder and ghee or clarified butter.
3. Mix thoroughly and close the lid.
4. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Clarified butter (asli ghee)
Chopped mint leaves
Fried onions (remaining)
Take out the cooked khichda in a bowl and garnish with clarified butter, mint leaves, coriander and fried onions.
Khhichda is ready.