From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Mutton (with bones): 1 kg (big pieces)
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tablespoons
Whole green chillies: 6
Salt: 2 teaspoons
Black pepper powder: 1 ½ teaspoon
Spices (garam masala powder) : 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
Chopped coriander: a handful
Chopped mint leaves: a handful
Curd: 1 tea cup
Oil : For frying + 2 tablespoons
Clarified butter (pure ghee): ½ tea cup
Cinnamon: 4 small sticks
Black cloves: 2
Lemons: 1 ½
1. Wash mutton pieces and drain the water thoroughly.
2. Add ginger garlic paste, crushed green chillies, salt, black pepper powder, spices or garam masala powder, turmeric powder, chopped coriander, chopped mint leaves and whipped curd.
3. Mix well and leave this aside for marination for about an hour.
4. Meanwhile in a frying pan, add oil for frying. Add big pieces of peeled potatoes and fry till they turn light brown.
5. In a saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and add clarified butter or pure ghee.
6. Add cinnamon sticks, slit cardamoms, black cloves and add marinated mutton pieces.
7. Sauté for about 5 minutes and add 500 ml of water.
8. Close the lid and cook on low flame for about an hour (If you are using pressure cooker, cook for about 20 to 30 minutes) till the mutton pieces get very soft or tender.
9. Add fried potatoes and lemon juice.
10. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Mutton roast is ready.