From Maimoona Yasmeen’s Recipes
Ingredients: For 5 to 6 servings
Mutton (with bones) : 150 grams
Drumsticks : 2 whole
Onion: 1 whole
Tomatoes: 2 whole
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tablespoon
Red chilli powder: 2 teaspoons
Salt: 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons
Tamarind water: ½ tea cup
Curry leaves: a handful
Chickpea flour (besan): 2 tablespoons
Coriander powder: ½ teaspoon
Cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
Chopped coriander: a handful
Whole green chillies: 3 to 4
1. In a pressure cooker, add medium size pieces of mutton with bones, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon salt, turmeric powder, oil and 1 teacup of water.
2. Close the lid and pressure cook till 2 whistles.
3. Take out the lid and sauté till the water dries up completely or till the oil separates.
4. Add these drumstick pieces. (Scrape the outside of two drumsticks and cut them into finger length pieces).
5. Saute for 15 seconds and add 1/2 tea cup of water.
6. Mix well, close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
7. Take out the lid and add tamarind water (soak handful of tamarind in one cup of water and squeeze out to get tamarind water). Add 300 ml of plain water, curry leaves and close the lid.
8. Cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes and simmer for 10 minutes till the raw smell of tamarind disappears.
9. Add chickpea flour or besan soaked in ½ cup of water(Soak chickpea flour or besan in water for about 15 minutes before adding), ½ teaspoon salt, coriander powder, cumin powder, chopped coriander and whole green chillies.
10. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Sojni ki Phalli ki Kadhi or Drumstick and Chickpea flour curry is ready.